Monday, September 17, 2012

Technology on Broadway

1) Crazy for You: "I Can't Be Bothered Now"


Just the fact that the dancers pull off the jammed packed clown car illusion had me. I thought that was amazing for the Tony Awards.


2) Peter Pan "I'm Flying"


I saw the original production of Cathy Rigby's Peter Pan when I was around 10 years old. I always thought that the flying was the most amazing part of the show, even though now I see that it looks a little silly to see a 60 year old woman swaying back and forth in the air.


3) Tony Awards 2012 Opening Number


Although this opening number was a poke fun at the actual mechanics and technology that the theater produces, it was still funny and amusing.


4) Nice Work If You Can Get It

I like the scene change from the streets to the club. It demonstrates quick scene change, which is essential on Broadway today. I'm not a fan of the show, although I can see why some people might.


5) Porgy and Bess

Being an artist, I find color to be a great way to demonstrate the mood of the scene. This is exactly what happens in this show. It went from a dull yellow, which I find sad and depressing, to a bright blue and white, which to me is cheery and nice. This was always essential and still is in a show on Broadway.


6) Evita

I love the set design for this show. I think this is crucial for a show like this, as it demonstrates once again the tone and mood for the act.


7) The Apple Tree

The costume design stood out for me in this excerpt. Although not a crucial aspect to the mechanics of Broadway it still demonstrates the personality of the characters, which is needed for a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment